Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wedding cake for the girl that inspired me to do film and then photos | Yuba City, CA Photographer






Eight years ago, my then boyfriend gave me a CD of this band, Pidgeon. Since I liked the Pixies, he figured I would probably appreciate them too. He knew one of the girls from college and it's always great to support local music. I listened, fell in love, and played their first album, From Gutter with Love, to death. When I woke up, before bed, while sleeping, the album was on repeat. One day, while watching Gilmore Girls (the episode where Rory's grandparents threw her a party where it's only Yale boys in attendance and Dean broke up with her, OMG, scandalous) the music in the background sounded familiar. It was Pidgeon! I looked at my husband and said "I'M GOING TO MAKE A DOCUMENTARY OF THEM!" and I got on Myspace (oh yes I did), e-mailed them there to ask if I can film them and basically shot at the dark. Valerie, responded, said yes, and allowed me to follow them for 5 months. Show after show around the city and rehearsals to document and talk about them and their music. I made my documentary with the help of my filmmaker husband and also my best friend, Angelo, as my producers and post-production. Out of that too, Valerie became one of the greatest friends I've ever made. She is genuinely so kind, so beautiful, so talented. My husband and I couldn't ask for anyone else to be godmother to our son.

I loved it, I fell in love with the process of film-making. I liked talking to people, getting a glimpse of their life. I'm glad Val said yes, because her music and her persona inspired me to fall in love with the whole process of media. Filming was so exciting! I couldn't find time to do film anymore which is why I switched to photography and found a different kind of adoration. But without Pidgeon, without Val, I wouldn't be where I am talent wise. They helped me break ground. It's the foundation I needed, and it has taken me far.

Val asked me to make her wedding cake. She knows how much food has always been my first mode of art. I didn't think twice and said yes. It's an honor to have been asked, to know that I also have great friends that support me like no other. I take cake making way too seriously, I get way too into it, but anything for the girl that replied to my email, and have changed my life forever.

Congratulations, Val and Mike. I wish you guys happiness. Thank you for letting me be a part of your life; in sugar, flour, and butter form.

2 comments:

  1. Winnie! These are the most beautiful and exquisite pictures of the wedding cake! It was so beautiful and you captured that here. It was also so mmmmmm.......divine! Thank you!!!!!
    Val's mom, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Cynthia! I loved making it and I'm so glad it turned out so well! Thank you also for everything and taking care of me and my little family =)

    ReplyDelete